iOS7 is due to be released to the masses on September 20th. I personally think the new operating system is very cool. However, this post is not about how amazing iOS7 is but rather how the current version of the mobile app works with iOS7.
In the lab we have an iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad Mini with the latest pre-release build of iOS7 and UManitoba version 3.5.16 works well on that operating system with two exceptions.
- if you login to Schedule and use the date picker, you will not see your courses. Use of the back and forward buttons works fine to view your schedule.
- occasionally when searching for directions to a building on campus the app crashes.
The above two issues have been resolved in our latest build in development.
We hope to release an update to you no later then the end of September. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
For those of you who may not be upgrading to iOS7 straight away, our devices that have iOS6 installed can use the iOS7 version of the app without any issues.
I have been receiving feedback from users requesting we build into the app the capability for users to sign on once and be able to access all features that require a login. Those features are D2L, Grades, Schedule, Booklist and Student Email.
We haven’t implemented this feature, in part, due to privacy and security concerns. However, we have added this feature request to our todo list and will be looking into possible solutions.
Version 3.5 has been released.
- totally re-designed & enhanced Transit feature
- Maps feature now includes driving directions to any campus building.
- new email feature that connects students to their new Office 365 email account.
- new Settings feature to allow users to toggle on or off app features as well as set other options.
- updated home screen
- added instagram feed to social media feature
- adds a banner to the bottom of the home screen to showcase key events on the app such as Bison Football games in the new stadium.
- many bug fixes
UManitoba version 3.0 was released today for all Android and iOS based mobile phones and tablets.
New Features & Updates
- A new bookstore micro-app
- updated user interface for News and Events micro-app
- added Library Hours and “Ask a Librarian” feature to Library micro-app
- added Text to Speech functionality for the visually impaired
- added ability to add events to a users calendar from Events micro-app
- bug fixes and various other improvements
Things to note
- The new version is only available to Android users with version 4.0 or higher.
So its seems that for some Android users with operating system version 4.0.4, particularly Samsung Galaxy S2/S3 and the Motorola xt910 are having problems loading the latest version of the app.
The app, while being loaded, crashes without providing an error message of any significance.
The problem seems to lie with having certain options set within the phones developer options. Particularly with the “Do not keep activities” option.
- go into Settings
- navigate down to Developer Options, should be near the bottom of the list.
- Make sure that everything is unchecked.
- back out of there and restart the app.
We have not encountered this issue before it doesn’t appear to be an app issue but a configuration of the device operating system.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
It is with great pleasure that I announce to the world that UManitoba version 2.5 was released today. The new version is live for download in Google Play and Apple App Store. Go get it!
So whats new you ask?
- The maps feature has been totally re-designed. Where Am I? has been properly integrated into the Maps micro-app and the micro-app itself is now native. It pulls its data from a Google web service. There is a new Search feature as well so that you can search by keywords if you like. Or you can select a layer to view.
- The springboard, that main screen that you see when you launch the app has been improved so that icons lay themselves out better based on the device dimensions in use.
- UMFM is now mobile!
- UMFM has Live Streaming
- UMFM has Live Sessions, Podcasts and much much more!
- You can listen to UMFM even if the app is closed.
- Twitter UI has changed due to increased restrictions to how their API (thats the stuff we use to gain access to their data) is used.
- Added our own navigation bar for web based features like D2L or Libraries.
- Food Micro-App. If you want to know what food locations are on campus then go here!
- News and Events have been re-worked so that they load faster.
- Important Dates and Exam Schedule has been added to Student micro-app.
- many bug fixes and enhancements.
If you have any comments please submit them via the feedback micro-app.
Happy New Year
Soooo the long awaited release of Windows 8 happened on Oct 25th.
HTC will be the first to launch a mobile phone with Windows 8 OS on Nov. 2nd. Followed shortly there after by Nokia and Samsung.
We may do a port of UManitoba to the Windows platform in the new year, we’ll see what the demand is like in 2013.
All the best
We finally released 2.1 on October 15th.
Its primary enhancement is iOS6 support which fixes all the instability issues with the app prior to 2.1.
There were a few other UI tweaks to make the app more user friendly (for example auto launching of the keyboard when a view with input elements is opened).
If you haven’t downloaded the update yet, please do so.
All the best
We are beta testing the current build of UManitoba with iOS 6 support and so far everything is testing very well. We will continue our testing into next week and if all goes well we will submit the update to Apple by Oct 5th as scheduled.
If anyone who is running iOS 6 would like to help test the beta please let me know .
iOS 6 was recently released by Apple.
The UManitoba mobile application is built using a development framework. The developers of that framework are working hard to release support for iOS 6, as a rule they do not officially support a new operating system until 30 days AFTER the official release of the OS.
However, a new version of the development framework should be released by the end of this month. Shortly thereafter we will be able to build iOS 6 support into the mobile app.
We hope to release the mobile app with iOS 6 support by the end of October at the very latest.
Sorry for the inconvenience to those who have updated their Apple devices to iOS 6.