We are beta testing the current build of UManitoba with iOS 6 support and so far everything is testing very well. We will continue our testing into next week and if all goes well we will submit the update to Apple by Oct 5th as scheduled.
If anyone who is running iOS 6 would like to help test the beta please let me know .
iOS 6 was recently released by Apple.
The UManitoba mobile application is built using a development framework. The developers of that framework are working hard to release support for iOS 6, as a rule they do not officially support a new operating system until 30 days AFTER the official release of the OS.
However, a new version of the development framework should be released by the end of this month. Shortly thereafter we will be able to build iOS 6 support into the mobile app.
We hope to release the mobile app with iOS 6 support by the end of October at the very latest.
Sorry for the inconvenience to those who have updated their Apple devices to iOS 6.
We are pleased to finally announce the release of UManitoba mobile application version 2.0 for iOS and Android devices. We are very excited about this release, we believe that we have made significant improvements over the previous versions. Here is a few highlights of what is in version 2.0.
- Added Where Am I? feature to Maps. It shows “points of interest” around you in a 300 foot radius.
- Added search to Where Am I so that you can search for “points of interest” on Bannatyne and Fortgarry Campuses.
- Added Desire 2 Learn button.
- You can now jump to a date in Schedule
- You can now locate your classes on a map in the Schedule feature.
- Added more News and Events feeds.
- Can now email an event.
- Added a Feedback feature.
- Improved Transit so its easier to view buses arriving to Dafoe Station.
- Re-designed application to improve performance.
- Improved the look and feel of the application. Especially on Android.
- Chinese language support.
We are hard at work on the next interation already. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or comments regarding the project or the 2.0 release feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer them.
Thanks for everyone involved in the project its been a great team effort!
We are in the final stages of testing on version 2.0 of UManitoba and I couldn’t wait to share some of the updates with the blogosphere. Here is what to look for in version 2.0.
- we have gone native on Android and iOS, performance is much faster then 1.0
- we have added a new feature, Desire 2 Learn has been added to the app, you can now interact with your courses right from your smart phone or tablet.
- the look and feel on the Android version, looks and feels like and Android app should. We got rid of the iPhone look in 2.0.
- Where Am I? feature button has been added to campus maps. You can click on this button to learn what points of interest are around you, and search if you do not find what you are looking for.
- Class locations are now added to Course Schedule. You can also click on a button to see where a class is on campus.
- If you find an event of interest to you and you want to share that event with others you can now email that event by touching a button.
- lots of other tweaks to various features have also been added.
We are very excited about the new changes in 2.0 we hope you like the update as well.